[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Tunes

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 13:37:42 PDT 2008

So far, I favor the position that there were no "Dixieland" tunes.
Weren't they all originally called Fox Trots? Or Rags? Or One Steps?
I think "Dixieland" as a description of a type of jazz came
afterwards, having originally referred to "Southern USA" as a region.

Bill Haesler, what do those old ODJB record labels say? I know that
Armstrong's original 78's of "Potato Head Blues" and "Put Em Down
Blues" say "Fox Trot" on the label. Likewise for Beiderbeck's "Rhythm
King", Jazz Harmonizer's "Riverboat Shuffle", and Oliver's "Sweet
Emmaline"

Even the Wolverines "Fidgety Feet" says One Step on the label.

It was simply danceable jazz, IMO, not "Dixieland" until after the
songs were recorded, that term having been coined later, by others,
rather than by the originators.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com