[Dixielandjazz] Beebe

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 9 18:41:21 PDT 2008

Hello all

"Beebe" was written by Sam Coslow and Abner Silver c. 1923 and predates
Jim Beebe (1931-2004). I've not been able to find an explanation of the
title but, since it has the alternative spelling "Bebe", it may refer to
the actress Bebe Daniels (1901-1971).

Does anyone know Sam Coslow's words? - they should give a clue.

The composition is well known to jazz enthusiasts because of Jimmy
Dorsey's recordings of the piece - accompanied clarinet solo, NY, 13
June 1929; accompanied alto saxophone solo, NY, 14 July 1932.

All the best,
Anton