[Dixielandjazz] BG High Society

Diann Franks swingbanjo at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 04:42:17 PDT 2008

The bassist was Slam Stewart , The  photograph w/names and dates is in the new bio  book titled "Flying Home Lionel Hampton[Celebrating 100 years of good vibes]" . It's in the book stores now . It's a good read......Diann

LRG4003 at aol.com wrote:  Ron Wheeler writ:
> In the Goodman clip, the original quartet is obvious... Benny Goodman,
> TeddyWilson, Lionel Hampton & Gene Krupa. Anybody know who's playing
bass?
> And was he part of a 'historical' quintet or just along for the ride on
> this one?
> _http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQTckQDGAc_
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQTckQDGAc)

Another clip at the same concert indicates that the bassist is George
Duvivier, an excellent bass player from the early 40's until his death in 1985. He
played extensively with a lot of the top names throughout that period and
appeared in the BG orchestra in the film with Steve Allen.

For some reason I'm thinking that one of the first bass players used by BG
to augment the quartet was John Kirby, but I'm sure there were many others.....

K.C. Clarinet

favorites at AOL Food.