[Dixielandjazz] BG High Society

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Sat May 3 11:04:11 PDT 2008

Ron Wheeler writ:
> In the Goodman clip, the original quartet is  obvious... Benny Goodman,
> TeddyWilson, Lionel Hampton & Gene  Krupa.  Anybody know who's playing
bass?
> And was he part of a  'historical' quintet or just along for the ride on
> this one?
> _http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQTckQDGAc_
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQTckQDGAc)

Another clip at the same concert indicates that the bassist is George
Duvivier, an excellent bass player from the early 40's until his death in  1985.  He
played extensively with a lot of the top names throughout that  period and
appeared in the BG orchestra in the film with Steve Allen.

For some reason I'm thinking that one of the first bass players used by BG
to augment the quartet was John Kirby, but I'm sure there were many  others.....

K.C. Clarinet

favorites at AOL Food.