[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong on Cornet

Bill McCloskey mccloskey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 09:10:44 PDT 2008

Hi everyone.

I just joined this list and this is my first post.

I'm a comeback trumpet player who has recently decided to concentrate on
jazz cornet.

As a result I've been listening to a lot of jazz cornet players.

Here is my question: I know Armstrong played cornet on the early Hot 5/7
recordings before switching to trumpet, but to my ear it sounds like he
played cornet on some tracks later in his career as well. For instance, on
the Satchmo plays King Oliver, a few of the tracks sound more like a cornet
than a trumpet to me.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other or point out other tracks later
in his career on which Armstrong played cornet?

Bill