[Dixielandjazz] Tin Roof / Jazzin Babies / Jazzin Baby Blues

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 08:28:41 PDT 2008

> eupher dude <eupher61 at hotmail.com> wrote
>
> well, my point is not about the changes...it's the tune.  The two
> chromatic runs (f-e-eb-d repeated) IS Jazzin' Babies, but is NOT Tin
> Roof...Tin Roof, properly, is f-e-eb-d  f (eighth) g(dotted quarter)

Tex Wyndham bands cover both runs in his version of Tin Roof.  One
chorus of  f-e-eb-d runs and on chorus of f-e-eb-f-g runs. But  that's
the only band in the Philadelphia area that adds the f (eighth) and g
(dotted quarter).

With its history, who's to say what the proper version is? Did what
NORK recorded accurately reflect what the tune sounded like earlier?
Who knows. Below is one person's historical thought on both tunes.

Richard Jones/George Brunis - Jazzin' Baby Blues (Tin Roof Blues) - 1923

While composer credit is given to George Brunis, the great jazz
trombonist, the theme is said to be an early jazz riff used by
legendary New Orleans cornetist Buddy Petit. Originally the tune was
called "Rusty Nail Blues" around New Orleans and only when recorded by
the NORK did it take the name of "Tin Roof Blues." The tune was used
numerous times by different names: The arrangement we will play is
credited to Richard Jones who called it "Jazzin' Baby Blues,"
published in 1923. It was re-recorded, with different words by Kay
Star in the 1950's and called "Make Love To Me."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband