[Dixielandjazz] 2nd Short Question - actually 2 short questions...

Steve Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 18 07:46:42 PDT 2008

Hi Bill et al...

OK - laptop is out - don't really want a laptop sitting on top of the piano - it's a visual distraction - not only to me but most importantly the audience.  I just hate to see musicians with sheet music, laptops, etc. sitting in front of them, they're starting to look like accountants and not entertainers.  I like the look of me and the piano, period...  It just looks SO much more clean, if you know what I mean.  (and as far as new fanbase, they always give me cards and I can do that in my room when I'm alone...)  Just TRY and imagine somebody like Frank Sinatra, or even Billy Joel, sitting at a piano, with a laptop open and at the ready - it just takes away from a professional appearance and mood...  Everything just suffers...

The one that might be really good is the portable DVD player, at least I could put that mostly out of sight - maybe a small stand next to me, below sight lines...  THANKS - I'll start checking them out...  I'd just have to see if I could configure the DVD so it would display large letters and some kind of scroll function so I could scroll to the right song...
That I will try here with my computer - if it works on the computer, I'll take the DVD into a store and see if it works on a portable DVD player... :-)
THANKS a BUNCH!!!!!
ALL the Best,
Steve

  Yea, use a laptop. I like that far better than an MP3 player for all kinds of reasons.

  1. It holds more songs.
  2. You can see a ton of songs listed at any given time.
  3. You can VERY quickly scroll through the list and click on any given song.

  I use a laptop for practice . . . much much easier than an MP3 player.

  Yea, I realize it's a little larger carry, but it also has other advantages. You could use it to easily input new names to your fanbase mailing list right on the gig too.

  Also, you can now get smaller laptops than ever before.

  Finally, you could consider getting a new cell phone with a larger display. Most advanced cell phones double as MP3 players, and some of those phones, especially ones with texting keyboards, have larger displays.

  Oh yea, one more option would be to buy a portable DVD player. They have usually a 7 inch screen or so. You could burn all your MP3s on one DVD, and there you have it.

  Hope this helps!

  Bill
  414-777-0100
  BillSargentBands.com

  Just released: "The Best Of Bill Sargent Bands - Volume 1"

  Available at: http://billsargentbands.com/recordings.htm