[Dixielandjazz] C-melody sax

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 17 10:40:44 PDT 2008

It's always a problem with any sax to avoid interference with other players.
The soprano runs into the Cornet occasionally.  The tenor really shouldn't
be used if you have a trombone player.  (Yes I know everyone knows some one
that pulls it off)  Tenor and trombone just are all the time running into
each other.  The "C" (and the alto) IMHO shares the worst of both worlds by
being pitched just where it will run into both.  If he plays in the low
register it runs into the trombone and if used in the upper it runs into the
cornet.  I think that it shares a lot with the tenor here.   A lot of this
depends on the players skill and just knowing what the other guy is going to
do so you can be somewhere else.

I have listened to recordings with both the tenor and trombone player but
what they seem to be doing is just not playing when the other guy is playing
that is, they are playing off of each other and when one is holding a tone
the other is moving and a lot of time they just aren't playing at the same
time.

Last week I recorded a gig and the cornet player and I had a pretty bad
train wreck at the end of a tune.  The recorder was on a shelf and there was
a couple of people between us and the recorder.  We were doing a duo in
minor seconds and this lady went OOOOOH!!!!  My thoughts precisely.
Fortunately that doesn't happen very often.  In an improvisational situation
train wrecks are almost inevitable unless you really have the tune very
solid.

The C has as best I can describe it a unique voice and I think of it as sort
of a covered sound compared to the other two.  It doesn't sound like a Tenor
or an Alto.  I'm not saying that it's unpleasant but just different.  I hear
them fairly often in recordings of bands of the 30's and if you want that
sound, the C is the only instrument that can do it.

I also think that the C just didn't have time to have all it's kinks worked
out.  As I said before the saxophone is still a work in progress.
Manufacturers are still experimenting with all sorts of things to make the
action better and help the instrument play more in tune.

I have been looking around for one but the prices are just are too much
considering the restoration costs.

BTW my first sax was a C.  I had an Uncle that had died sometime in the 30's
and my Aunt  who lived in Pennsylvania didn't get rid of his horn.   I
wanted to play the violin or my next pick was trumpet but my parents didn't
have the money to buy me an instrument.   One day this sax shows up in the
mail.  My teacher applied rubber bands to appropriate places and the rest is
history.  I was about 11 years old and that sax was the most beautiful thing
I had ever seen but it did smell a bit from basement.  I think it was a
Martin.  I used it for three years until my parents got me a new horn.

Do you have an address or web site for the mouthpiece guys?
Larry
St.L