[Dixielandjazz] C-melody sax

Sue Fischer sfischer1923 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 08:23:48 PDT 2008

 I have a 1919 Conn C-melody and it has a few notes at the top of the lower
register that are a little flat.  But overall, it's got a lovely tone and
plays across the breaks very well.  I use an old C-mel mouthpiece with it.
(I tried both a tenor and alto mp at the suggestion of my repair tech, but
either had problems getting the low notes with the alto or the high notes
with the tenor mp.)  Before I bought mine, I borrowed a friend's horn, and
it plays more out of tune than mine.  I also had more trouble getting the
high F out of it.  But then, he uses a tenor mp on it....

It's true that the instrument was made primarily for people who wanted to
play along with a piano or small combo, but Frank Trumbauer sure did all
right with it.  Some of the older guys here say that if they have to have a
saxophone in a band, they prefer having a C-mel because it is voiced so that
it interferes less with the clarinet or trombone lines.  Have any of you had
experience with this?

And there's a company in New Zealand that makes brand-new C-mel mouthpieces;
you can get them for about $25.  I prefer my old one though, as beat up as
it is.

Sue