[Dixielandjazz] Rice Horns

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Mar 14 09:01:45 PDT 2008

My friend, Gary Dammer, who gave it to me has a Conn and he sounds pretty
good on it but he doesn't use it a whole lot.  Truthfully I think he uses it
when his chops get tired.  When he told me he had one I could have I thought
it would look like it had been through Katrina.

This horn's sound is I am sure typical of valve bones.  I guess I am just
surprised at what is coming out of China and the far East.  The workmanship
is very good on this instrument.  It remains to be seen if the plating on
the valves holds up and things that may not be visible.  All of the slides
are very smooth and it's a fairly heavy horn.

A few weeks ago the owner at St. Louis Brass and Woodwind Repair was selling
Pocket Trumpets and Cornets.  Unfortunately I don't remember the brand but
they were excellent horns.  The remarkable thing about the Pocket Trumpets
is that they played in tune and sounded good even for me. They had a full
size bell too.  When word got around he had a sell out.  Several of the
absolute best players here jumped on them and especially since the price was
below $300.

A funny thing happened when Gary was trying the Pocket horn.   He put some
power behind it and blew the second valve slide across the room.  No damage
and the shop corrected the problem.

He said he bought the bone at a trade show and vendors often sell out their
supplies, at a good price, rather than transport them back but it's
unbelievable that they would sell a horn for $100.

Brass instruments are sort of a hobby with me.  I play OK but in no stretch
could I be called an accomplished player. I consider anything above E to be
a major accomplishment.  I just enjoy fooling with them and I used to play
brass a lot, playing along, with beginners.  The brass community has little
to fear that I might take their jobs anytime in this life.
Larry
StL