[Dixielandjazz] Rice Horns

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Thu Mar 13 21:21:43 PDT 2008

Larry wrote: A friend gave me a valve bone this morning that he had bought
at a show for $100.  He's a great trumpet player that occasionally doubles
on valve bone.  He compared it to his Conn and said it wasn't as good. (no
kidding).  He wasn't using it so he gave it to me.

Anyway it's of fairly good workmanship, looks great and plays pretty well in
tune for a valve bone.  The voice is a little small but I'm not a trombone
player so it may be me.  It has a nice mellow tone.
====================================
Chances are, Larry, that the voice would be a little on the small side
regardless of the player.  Most valve trombones are built with small bores.
Add that to the additional bends the air must travel through compared to a
slide trombone, and the sound is generally pretty narrow.

My Conn Victor is a really nice valve trombone for jazz.  Over the years I
have learned to get a really good sound out of it.  The tone is brilliant
but warm.  It is fairly narrow, and serves best in a small jazz ensemble.
This horn doesn't fit in well with a big band trombone section or a string
orchestra.  I have been looking for bigger bore valve trombones for years
without finding anything suitable.

Once upon a time instrument manufacturers built valve trombones in a variety
of sizes and bores.  Those days came to an end some time ago.  My recent
Internet searches have turned up a plethora of small-bore horns but nothing
else.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX