[Dixielandjazz] Summertime

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 2 06:33:45 PST 2008

nancy wrote
WARNING! The is NOT an OKOM treatment of Gershwin's "Summertime."
Watch at your own risk, then listen to the crowd roar their approval.===========

My first hint of that, even before I read the warning, was "DRUM SOLO in Summertime".

Reminds me of the time I was playing a very bad gig with an even worse pickup band.  The drummer put a 4 bar tag at the end of "Tin Roof Blues", common tempo and feel.

I have to say, I'm certainly glad I didn't go to that concert.  There are some things, some styles, some sounds, in the broadest of OKOM that literally make me sick to my stomach.  I have a feeling this band would be one of them, based on my 1 minute of Summertime viewing.

Sorry to say it, but everyone has their personal taste.  I'm a tuba player, primarily, and I play string bass like I'm playing tuba.  That, and straight beat drums and 2 hand piano, is MY taste.

steve 'gawd, I guess I AM that opinionated" hoog