[Dixielandjazz] "In the Gutter" & "Skip the Gutter"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 2 07:23:32 PST 2008

Bruce,
I copied "In the Gutter" and madea midi file of it.
It's kinda boring, but then I haven't listened to any
records (e.g. Big Bill Bissonnette's International Jazz Band recording
or Geo. "Kid Sheik" Cola's recording of it.(only references I could find.)
Also - could not find a composer attribution.

As to "Skip the Gutter" it was written by Spencer Williams
according to redhotjazz.com, tho attributed to Otis Rene' elsewhere.
It is on the Hot 5,6,7 recordings of Lous Armstrong.
One reviewer judged the basic tune to be "prosaic", but
to a great degree Armstrong/Hines "rewrite" it in their rendition.
It is one of the Hines/Armstrong "soloist" pieces.
It can be accessed at
http://www.redhotjazz.com./hot5.html
I haven't checked to see if anyone else recorded it in a less
"soloist" style.

Craig Johnson
  ----- Original Message -----  (was off-list, but thought it might interest all)