[Dixielandjazz] Throat Pouch

harold troughton haroldtroughton at msn.com
Mon Jun 30 12:11:47 PDT 2008

Hi Posters.
 A couple of years ago  much to my alarm I was dignosed with a rare throat condition -"Pharyngeal Pouch".

 this is a kind of hernia occurring at the top if the esophoghus

 My consultant told me the condition was associated with trumpet  players, & the elderly
Surprise . Surprise!!  I have been blowing my clarinet & saxes for nearly 60 years (With breaks for food etc) joke.

 This throat problem can be helped by non invasive surgery these days and I had mine stapled making it easier to live with.

 Here in the UK only one case  in 100,000 per year is  reported.
 I would love to hear of any other victims of this occupational hazard and to compare notes with fellow sufferers

 I understand that Randy Sanke That great Chicago tpt had this when he was a teenager.

   Any info would be gratefully received. (Yes I continue blowing)

          Harold Troughton. Blue Magnolia JO Liverpool.