[Dixielandjazz] Elkhart redux

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Jun 30 07:43:21 PDT 2008

I had the fun of working one of the Elkhart festivals with a bunch of
old Chicago alumni of  Jazz Ltd. On the group, the Jazz Ltd Reunion
Band, we had Max Hook on piano, John Bany, Bass, Kim Cusack, clarinet,
Jim Beebe, trombone, Wayne Jones Drums, myself, trumpet, and had
"floating" players added for a set or two at different times -- Tom
Saunders, trumpet, Jack Lesberg, bass, and Ralph Sutton, piano; also
Buddy Charles piano.
Hook, Jones, Beebe, and myself were the real Jazz Ltd. players of
record, the rest were fill in's -- we joked that while Kim had not
actually played at Jazz Ltd., he did stop in for a drink one time!
A patron made and gave me a decent tape of  one set in which Sutton and
Lesberg were with us. Though I had known Ralph for a number of years,
it was the first and only time I had a chance to be on the stand with
him and was more than a bit thrilled for the chance.
Since I was the designated "boy singer" for that set, he backed me
singing my favorite James P. Johnson tune, 'Old Fashioned Love.' After
listening to the tape I had to admit that he even made me sound good!
There was a  mix of other bands and players and those I was able to
catch when not playing a set showed the wisdom of selection made by the
festival folks. Little wonder that this festival continues to be successful.
Deadlines for a magazine I edit prevented me from being there this year,
but glad that those who were have confirmed that the quality has
remained good.
Maybe next year,
Don Ingle