[Dixielandjazz] The first Stereo

Bill Hildebrandt whildebrandt at att.net
Wed Jun 18 13:57:02 PDT 2008

According to "From Tinfoil to Stereo" by Oliver Read & Walter L Welch,
1959, the Columbia Phonograph Company offered the Multiplex Graphophone
Grand for $1000.00, including 3 recording heads, 3 reproducing heads, 1
triple horn stand, three 56 inch brass horns, 12 Multiplex Grand
records, 6 multiplex grand blanks. This was a cylinder machine and the 3
horns would record three tracks simultaneously, and the spacing and
lengths of the directional horns indicate that a stereophonic playback
would be reproduced.  The machine was made in either 1898 or 1899. The
development was not recognized at the time as "stereo". (Incidently,
this was the first time the term "multiplex" was used in connection with
sound.)
I would attach a repro of the advertisement for this machine but I don't
believe the List allows it.

Bill Hildebrandt
The New Farmington River Ragtime Ramblers
Simsbury, CT