[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Style Change

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 1 18:06:46 PDT 2008

My 2 cents agrees with Marek & Chris.

I am no expert, but can add some anecdotal evidence which dovetails
with Mole's jazz stylistic development. And also with Mole's timing on
the jazz scenc.  Like Ory, he was one of the original jazz
trombonists, born prior to 1900, about a decade or so after Ory.

This is more or less what he said to me in the late 1940s, or early
50s in a three way conversation along with Tony Spargo (Sbarbaro). He
talked about how the ODJB records hit like a bolt out of the blue and
created an incredible amount of interest among his peer musicians. And
about how he and others listened to them, and how he especially
listened to Eddie Edwards, whose influence he acknowledged. He also
saw the band live in NYC at the club whose name I forget at the
moment, which was where he met Phil Napoleon. Then and there, he said
that those musicians interested in jazz, saw this music as a way to
make money and have fun. And how they strove to get their own bands
going. All kinds of bands formed. (end conversation)

 From about 1918 on, (before Ory recorded) Mole was playing with
Napoleon's Original Memphis Five, a much smoother organization than
the ODJB and one that played pop tunes instead of copying ODJB. I
think their first recording was 1921 or 22. You can hear the link
between him and Edwards in the ensembles of that record however you
can also hear the broader vocabulary and better technique that Mole
had. As the Memphis Five progressed, they used arrangements, right
down to the solos. And they got smoother and smoother with Mole, in
particular, using more legato phrases.

As Chris said, Mole was a studied player. IMO, a virtuoso, as opposed
to Ory who did not possess a large musical vocabulary. IMO, he and Ory
developed their playing styles at the same time, and probably pretty
much independent of each other.

For a real treat, listen to Mole's break on Original Dixieland One
Step intro in bars 3 and 4 from the "Miff Mole and His Little Molers"
record, OKeh, 1927. Instead of the traditional trombone smear, he
executes a 16 note break that will knock your socks off. Why? Because
he could.

He was a true original with a huge musical, harmonic, vocabulary and
wonderful technique. Learned,perhaps, from some of those classical
trombone teachers in NYC who had made trombone solos famous among non-
jazz musicians in the beginning of the 20th century. As opposed to a
host of trombone players who learned jazz by ear and from copying
records.

He went on to play with Red Nichols, but then left jazz for a while
for the security of studio work. Then in the 1940s, he worked some
with Eddie Condon at Nicks, and later with others at Nick's until his
health started to fail in the 1950s.

He lived not too far from me on Long Island and I last saw him in the
late 1950s, on a visit with trumpeter Kenny Butterfield (who was the
leader of a band in which I worked) and his dad Charlie Butterfield
who was a studio trombonist and friend of Mole's.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband