[Dixielandjazz] trombone style change

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Jun 1 15:58:09 PDT 2008

If you have visited N'Orleans and listened to the street bands, most of the
players have a "poor" in the classical sense tone.  Most are out of tune and
honk a lot.

There are several reasons I think.  First is that many seem to be self
taught and did not develop correct embouchure early on.  You will see a lot
of cheek puffing and other poor habits that go along with this.  Other
reasons are playing for maximum volume.  It takes some very strong chops to
do that for very long and I just don't think a lot of these guys have them.
It also takes listening and time to develop correct intonation and again
this isn't at a premium.  Some of the instruments look like they have seen
better days too.

I'm not saying all musicians who play in the streets of N'Orleans are this
way but many are pretty blasty.  I think this extends to all instruments,
not just the trombone in this setting.  You think that some of these guys
lips will blow out the ends of their horns.  It's not surprising that they
got the same sound when they went indoors.

The musicians in the early days of jazz didn't have teachers who would help
them through these things.  As time went by and more musicians were started
formally or at least had mentors sound improved but you can still hear this
sound in the street bands today.  It's the same kind of sound that you will
hear High School marching bands get in parades.

On the bright side absolutely no one cares what they sound like as they sip
a beer and watch them go by.
Larry
STL