[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Jubilee

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Sun Jun 1 12:13:36 PDT 2008

I had only Friday to attend the Jubilee, so started with the F2F at the
Delta King.  Always great to see old friends and some new ones.  I had
seen Tamas and the Bohem Ragtime band in San Pablo the previous Sunday
at the New Orleans Jazz Club of Northern California, and then saw them
riding down the Old Town Main Street on a fire engine in the parade.
What an amazing and versatile group.  They go from classic ragtime to
modern swing tunes with ease, and do it well.  It was interesting to see
and hear Tamas's Stroh (sp) violin.  I also thought there was something
unusual about the trombone player, then realized he was playing left handed.

The rest of the day was spent mostly at the Convention Center with Bob
Schulz, Climax and Uptown Lowdown.  Climax from Toronto Canada had a
California touch with Mark Caperone from Paso Robles on trumpet and our
own bay area Clint Baker on drums.

We finished up back at Old Town with Nightblooming Jazzmen at the
Embassy Suites.  What a lousy venue.  It's like watching a concert in a
bowling alley, two alleys wide.

We caught our last set with Hal Smith's Louisiana Hayriders.  Definitely
not a mouldy fig band.  It was Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis rolled up
into one with listmate Katie Cavera playing a very energetic upright
bass and singing "let's have a party".

There seemed to be plenty of "trad" bands to follow, although we had
only 5 sets to choose.  There were several of our favorites conspicuous
by their absence  such as Royal Society Jazz Orchestra  and Devil
Mountain.  Some were there only one day. All in all it was an enjoyable
day, and probably the best weather as I understand it drizzled most of
Saturday and was cold and windy Sunday.

Don Robertson