[Dixielandjazz] Conrad Janis' New Film

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 14:25:41 PDT 2008

Hello,
Actually, the deParis brothers played "traditional' (or dixieland)
even before big band work faded out.  Just listen to the deParis
Brothers on Commodore, recorded at the time that label recorded other
black musicians playing swing!  Also, the Sidney deParis band on Blue
Note was not exactly a swing band.

For some reason, it was all right for Franz Jackson and Singleton
Palmer to play Dixieland (the former, as you've mentioned, was
referred to as playing New Orleans).
Oh, labels, labels, and pigeonholes!  Didn't Bill Harris sound great
at the Condon's Town Hall concerts?
Cheers

I've read the Janis story in the Mississippi Rag.