[Dixielandjazz] Edinburgh Jazz Festival

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 15:24:17 PDT 2008

Hi Marek et al,

Yes, Bev's still with the Dips and yes I'm sure it should be the Spirits of
Rhythm, or the Spurts of Rum, as they're known locally. There are some fine
OKOM players around too, like Bob Barnard, Jon-Erik Kellso, Randy Reinhart,
Duke Heitger, Evan Christopher, Swedish Jazz Kings, Manhattan Ragtime Orch,
Morten Gunnar Larsen, Chris Barber etc, etc, not to mention singers like
Topsy Chapman, and  Rebecca Kilgore.

Alongside the traditional/mainstream festival run by Mike Hart, there used
to be a modern festival run separately by Assembly Direct. Funding problems
years back resulted in the two being merged, hence the appearance of more
modern stuff under the EIJF banner in recent years. However, I think there
is probably more of jazz's earlier styles in this year's festival than has
been the case in recent years.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson

www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk