[Dixielandjazz] Tito Martino's 50 Years of Jazz

Tito Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Wed Jan 30 13:53:04 PST 2008

Wow, Steve,

thanks for the plug !  Actually, my intention was not to sell the CDs,
but just to know your comments.
Anyway I'll be glad to answer offlist to those eventually interested.
Thanks Steve for your kind comments, and you're right, the two versions
of Darktown are reversed in the listing.
Albert Nicholas is in fact one of my idols, and relating to a previous
CD, the similarity was also remarked by Stan McDonald
(ex-New Black Eagles Jazz Band) who told me he got emotionally touched
because he was a great friend to Nicholas.
Other references are George Lewis, Omer Simeon, Johnny Dodds, Jimmy
Noone (my two dogs are named Johnny and Jimmy) and quite naturally
Bechet on soprano but also on clarinet.
Many years ago, when I went to the USA with my Original Traditional Jazz
Band to play at the N.Orleans
Jazz & Herit. Fest.,  John S. Wilson wrote in the N.York Times:
"altough  one could hear occasional reflections
of  well-known American jazz men in some of the Brazilians' playing, ...
they were all drawing on a number of sources and
 putting things together in their own individual ways".  This coming
from Wilson was so encouraging to me, because that was the first time I
could feel we were working in the right direction and playing real Jazz.
I plan in next CD with my present Tito Martino Jazz Band, to play  a
couple of numbers with the Albert System clarinet which originally
belonged to Omer Simeon (according to Stan, who sold it to me).
cheers,

Tito Martino