[Dixielandjazz] Tito Martino's 50 Years of Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 12:31:32 PST 2008

Now listening to Brazilian list mate's Tito Martino's CD "Tito Martino
& Friends". It is a snip of his 50 years of jazz performances and
highlights 2 of his bands. The Original Traditional Jazz Band (OTJB)
with selections from 1977, and The South Side Stompers (SSS) from
2004. Some wonderful swinging music on the CD which includes:

OTJB - Apex Blues, Doctor Jazz, Swanee River, Darktown Strutter's
Ball, Mississippi Mud, Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None of My Jelly Roll,
Tiger Rag, and The Saints.

SSS- Perdido, Sweet Lorraine, Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm
Gone, China Boy, Lolo"s Strut, Smile My Darling, What Am I Doing Here,
Washboard Stomps, Don't Deny My Name and Darktown Strutter's Ball.

Fun to hear Tito playing Clarinet, as well as Alto and Soprano saxes.
And fun to hear how the two bands differ. The OTJB celebrates the
music as played by Armstrong et al in the 1920s, while the SSS follows
the swing rhythmic concepts of the Armstrong All Stars. Interesting to
hear the different versions of Darktown Strutter's Ball, SSS 2004 and
OTJB 1977 though I think the two versions may be reversed in the song
listing.

Tito  reminds this listener of Albert Nicholas  (without copying)
while bringing something new to the party. You can also hear Sidney
Bechet's influence in some of his soprano work.

It is a pleasure to hear the South American-Italian influence on OKOM.
Besides Tito, other performers in SSS are:  Jean-Pierre Henkart  TB,
TP, V; Daniel Andreotti GUI; Zeca Araujo Bass;  Paulinho de Lima
Washboard. And the rest of the OTJB are: Andre Busic COR;
Sergio Tamburri TB; Luchin Montoya PNO; Dudu Pereira Banjo; Daniel
Grisanti Bass; and Laurindo Godoy Washboard. With great names like
those, how can you go wrong?

Well done Tito. Listmates can contact him (and buy the CD) at:  Tito
Martino <tmartino at terra.com.br>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone