[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver recordings

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Wed Jan 30 12:35:22 PST 2008

I was wondering if anybody has done research into recording speeds as reproduced on vinyls. I've just transferred two King Oliver tunes to my PC for the weekly jazz programme that I run.
I know that my record player plays a semitone flat, so I was surprised when "Alligator Hop" was in Bb after transfer. This would imply that the original was in the key of B - most unlikely. This tune was transferred from Riverside RLP 12-101.
"Dippermouth Blues" also transferred in Bb, but I think this was originally recorded in the key of C. This was taken from the 10" Columbia 33S 1065.

Any info, anybody?

Bob Smith

--
Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
 Den har fjernet 1821 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.