[Dixielandjazz] Tenor band

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Jan 19 12:02:59 PST 2008

Yes it was three tenors.  Some of the bands even if they had different saxes
used pretty tight harmony.  One of the first things I learned when I started
playing big band is section vibrato.

There's a sax player here that's pretty good and I was on a gig with him
playing with a Mickey band from out of town.  He uses diaphragm vibrato
which was an incredible clash with the rest of the section.  He just
couldn't match the section.  The sound was different anyway.

I think it would be difficult to get the sound of the old tenor band today.
Tenors sound different.  I had a Buescher  Tenor from 1923 and there was
just no way to brighten it up like a modern tenor.  Even with tone boosters
and a metal mouthpiece.  If you remove the boosters and use a rubber
mouthpiece it transforms the tenor into a completely different animal from
today's tenor that is built to scream.  Mellow is just out.

When I was a little kid I heard a tenor band and the sound was just
different.  The group I heard from K.C. was pretty mellow too.  No metal
mouthpieces.  Just listen to some tenor players from the 30's and you will
hear the difference.  I liked the sound.

Today the tenor is a much more in your face horn with a lot more projection
and power.  I seriously doubt that I could even get that 30's sound without
changing horns, mouthpieces and reed.  I have heard a few older guys that
come close to that sound.

A lot of the stocks were published simultaneously for tenor band as well as
mixed sax section so you could take your pick.  Tenor bands could also play
the other charts with Alto, Tenor, Bari or alto, alto, tenor or any
combination of the three as doubles.
Larry
StL