[Dixielandjazz] Tenor band

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 19 05:32:45 PST 2008

I thought the term "tenor band" referred to ensembles using three tenors
plus three rhythm, and usually one or two trumpets and a trombone.
Charlie Hull

The arrangements we had in the Air Force were written for 3 tenors, 1
trumpet, 1 trombone & rhythm section. The 3 tenors created a big sound, and
I would say the whole setup was originally created for economic reasons, or
a way to get a big sound with less people than in a Big Band.

Someone asked if the arrangements were by Sammy Nestico.  While many of our
big band arrangements were written by him, I don't remember who arranged the
tenor band songs, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone with a name we would
know.
Jim