[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements and recordings

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 17 15:39:15 PST 2008

Larry Walton wrote:
Just a question.  I don't know exactly what you
are talking about.  I have a huge pile of "Stocks".
====================================
>From 1949 thru 1955 I was studying with Sy Oliver and Dick
Jacobs. Early in 1949 I was hired by the THREE arrangers
(They formed a company called Red Circle Music) who
had offices in the penthouse at 1619 Broadway better known
as the Brill Building. The 3rd arranger was Johnny Warrington.
=====================================
At some point Johnny gave me a lesson in stock arranging.
Stocks were voiced so that they could be played with
just about any combination of instruments as well as the
full ensemble. - That's it!
======================================
Some "stock arrangers" were absolutely great at what they
did. Johnny's desk was always covered with work to do.
Jeff Hest did a fine job with some of the record copies such
as Sing Sing Sing.

It should be obvious that a "record copy" cannot be the same
as the original. Most "original" charts are scored for the
sidemen's abilities and voiced so that all had to be present.

The published stocks of Tommy Dorsey/Sy Oliver charts
are aproximation of the originals. They do NOT sound like
the recordings to my ears. Same goes for the Glenn Miller,
Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman charts. In many cases they
are very similar but not they same.

Some musicians I have met believe that "stock arranging"
means "watered down" or "not too good". Not true.
It was up to the writer to decide whether to simplify the
notation (rhythms, keys etc) or be true to the original.
So, you have to judge each chart on it's own merits.
For sure, the audience will never know the difference,
unless YOU happen to be there.
===================
This came to me a few months ago:
I came across your website.  I'm Johnny Warrington's daughter,
Glad to see that his work is still in play.  People tell me still how
much they enjoy his arrangements.  Not sure when you posted
that his books would be available, so please let me know.
Thanks,  Jean Warrington
=======================
We spoke on the phone for almost an hour. John retired in the
late fifties - (nothing to write for Little Richard :} ) and settled in
Ocean City N.J. There he resumed writing for a local big band.
John was a graduate of Duke Univ. and shared music chores
with Les Brown for the Duke Blue Devils.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com