[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements and recordings

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jan 17 08:50:15 PST 2008

Just a question.  I don't know exactly what you are talking about.  I have a
huge pile of "Stocks".  What I have are big band and a few Dixie band
arrangements that came out in the 40's and 50's.  The cost was about $1.25
per arrangement.  A lot were done by Johnny Warrington and other arrangers
of pop tunes of the time.

I'm not familiar with any that existed much before that.  I have some in a
Dixie book but most are swing and ballroom stuff.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I think the arrangers did these in response to the number of big bands that
existed.  When the big bands went away so did the "Stock" arrangements.  I
don't think they were off of recordings but arranged for the sake of selling
the charts.

In about 1955 I was a member of a band that was just starting and we needed
music.  We went down to a music house that had a lot of them.  We bought
about 30 or 40 and they practically gave us a bunch more as closeouts.  I
think they were around a quarter each.  I think they were so happy that we
actually bought some of them.  I have a couple of hundred that were thrown
out by the AF.  Since I sell nostalgia music I thought about computerizing
the rhythm sections and trying out a mini big band.  I have about 10 so far
but I stopped two years ago.

Some of those stocks are still, to this day, being used by one of the big
bands here.

The interesting thing about most of the big band stocks was that they would
work with vastly reduced instrumentation if you didn't use the last section
that usually had a tenor solo.   I used them throughout the 60's with a 5
piece group.  The two horns were alto sax and trumpet and sometimes a tenor
playing the trumpet part.  While I have argued with one band leader about
this and it's true they didn't have a big band feel but they were better
than just fake books.  This was before I learned how to "arrange" on the fly
and make a fake chart sound arranged.  At the time I think they helped my
bands sound better than just playing through fake charts and if I got a job
for a larger group I could just add horns and not have to worry about it.

For the most part today I think they are collector's items more than have a
lot of practical use.  I did give four of them to a high school band so they
could experience playing stocks.
Larry
StL