[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements By JACK MASON

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Thu Jan 17 17:04:57 PST 2008

Al, your piece about stock writing and Jack Warrington and others is very
interesting.   Back in the '30's and early '40's we used to play stocks a
whole bunch of which were by JACK MASON.    We always considered them
repetitious in format and boring.    But, tell me, was there really a stock
arranger named JACK MASON?    We didn't think so.    We thought it might be
almost a hand-cranked arranging machine, knowing such a thing actually
didn't exist then.   Even a JACK MASON.

OK, Buddy -- tell us the truth.   What was a JACK MASON?   Was it as big as
a bread box?    Was it a monkey?    A humanoid?

Bob Newman