[Dixielandjazz] drums

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 10 15:02:11 PST 2008

Clive Smith wrote:

> Its an hoary old question, I know, but why is it that the great bands of the
> 20's and early 30's (Oliver, Armstrong, Morton, Bix, Bechet et al) seldom if
> ever featured drum solos (I am talking about the days of electric
> recordings) - if they had featured drum solos when playing live, would they
> not have recorded with said drum solos included? If today's listeners go
> bonkers with drum solos, would not our parents have done the same in the
> 20's and would the band leaders not have included them in their recorded
> work of those times?

Clive, drums were featured on early recordings. Johnny Dodds Blackbottom
Stompers 1927 recording of After You've Gone has a break by brother Baby.
Jelly's recording of Billy Goat Stomp is based around Dodd's solo drumming.

Zutty solos on Armstrong's Monday Date with those weird little cymbals.

Red Nichols Five Pennies recording of That's No Bargain has a cymbal
solo by Vic Berton as well as some tympani breaks.

Krupa played breaks on the Rhythmakers 1932 sessions and Zutty soloed on
Who Stole The Lock.

These all pre-date the marvellous output of Krupa with the Goodman band.

What about Chick Webb and his marvellous solo on Liza or Don't be that
Way - or Harlem Congo?

Or the Wettling recordings with Condon on Commodore? Or Hamp's Jack The
Bellboy? Or Bauduc with Bob Crosby?

The drummer is a key part of a good band as Bill said in his post. Get a
lousy drummer and the band will be lousy. Get a good one and it will
druive a mediocre band to greater heights.

Many European jazz bands would be better off without a drummer,
exceptions being any that have say Colin Bowden playing with them - who
knows what it's about.

There is a young guy, Baby Jools, who has just joined Max Coliie, who
has a bright future ahead of him. He sat in with my band a Sstratford a
couple of months back.

The problem with many drummers who play in traditional jazz and swing
bands is that they have not studied the roots, hence they know not the
language. Steve Hoog mentioned Hal Smith - who is terrific. He knows
where it comes from and where to take it. There are many others over the
pond, but not so many in Europe.
Cheers

--
John Petters