[Dixielandjazz] drums

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jan 10 16:25:26 PST 2008

Personally I like to have a drummer providing he knows the styles which is
getting to be a rare commodity.  NYEve I hired a guy that I had played with
before and was just plain disappointed.  I had heard him play much better.
I guess I just bring out the best in some drummers. ;-)

I never liked the big drum solos that were popular in the 40's-50's.  Most
of the time they were Krupa wannabees.  They usually sounded like falling
down stairs and the tempo would go nuts as the guy got into it and then the
idiots half the time would just stop and not really signal the band that
they might be quitting or the band would be mentally asleep from boredom.

I was really happy when that went out of style and it wasn't a part of every
third song.

Drum solo's do not have to be loud or long to be awesome.  A friend, Glen
Kimmel, who died a year or so ago would start the drum solo in "Cute" and
would end up playing with his fingertips with a finger flip, ping on the
ride cymbal at the end.  The crowd always went nuts.  Glen was a consummate
jazzer and never played anything bad.  This man had taste and was an artist.

But then again some drummers actually play them and all the rest hit on
things sort of along with the band.  My biggest problem is that I have been
around guys that actually play drums for too long and anything else just
doesn't cut it.
Larry
St.L