[Dixielandjazz] drums

Clive Smith scousersmith at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:19:39 PST 2008

As a chap who did a daily news program in English (on the equivalent of our
NPR radio) in Bogota, Colombia once said when describing some tricky news
item..... "this has opened a box of pandoras". Well, I seem to have opened
another box of pandoras with my pontificating about drum solos - actually,
they are flying around my room as I write!!

Thanks Jim, John P, Ron L and Bill for your input. Bill, I dont know what
your definition of "knobs" (....working with a bunch of knobs..) is (very
rude in English English !!) but I have to admit to having been a close
minded, purist elitist in my mis-spent youth. I am a lot more tolerant today
but still hate drum *solos* while agreeing with all of you that the drummer
is the engine room of a good band...... when he/she is playing within the
rhythm section. I have been listening to Jazz for some 60 years now, live
and recorded, and have seen just one drummer who blew me away with his solo.
The Basie Band, with Dizzie on trumpet as the star attraction, played a
concert in the mid-80's in Albuquerque - their drummer was a big (white)
fellow who played an absolutely brilliant solo that even I, with all my
prejudices, was on my feet - you could, as you say, follow the tune during
his un-accompanied solo. Sorry but I can't recollect his name.

Its an hoary old question, I know, but why is it that the great bands of the
20's and early 30's (Oliver, Armstrong, Morton, Bix, Bechet et al) seldom if
ever featured drum solos (I am talking about the days of electric
recordings) - if they had featured drum solos when playing live, would they
not have recorded with said drum solos included? If today's listeners go
bonkers with drum solos, would not our parents have done the same in the
20's and would the band leaders not have included them in their recorded
work of those times?

What say you?

Regards

Clive (with *even fewer* drummer friends !!) Smith in New York