[Dixielandjazz] Applause-is it appropriate after a solo?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Jan 10 14:53:16 PST 2008

To: DJML

>From :  Norman

To add to the discussion about audience applause after solos, Artie Shaw
said he didn't approve because it frequently went one or two bars into the
next person's solo.  Bobby Van Deusen, pianist now located in Central Gulf
Coast area,  said that when his solo came next, he'd just vamp until the
applause died down and then begin his solo-no doubt his bandmates would pick
up his cue.

My personal point of view is mixed.  If it's really GREAT!, then it's a
spontaneous gesture from the audience.  And, I suppose, is energizing to the
performer.  If it's merely a pro forma applause-to show those nearby that I
can recognize when one solo ends, etc-then it's just plain bothersome to my
personal listening.

Norman-that's my take on the subject--Vickers

Jazz Society of Pensacola

--end--