[Dixielandjazz] so many drummers, so little time

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:08:18 PST 2008

While I prefer not having drums in a smaller group (4 or fewer) it sure is nice to have that texture and the time with a bigger group.  But, who it is, and more specifically how they play stylistically, is make or break for MY enjoyment--and if I'm not enjoying it, the audience isn't getting my full entertainment potential.

Hal Smith has the right idea, to me, as far as OKOM drumming.  Chris Tyle, in the few things I've heard him play drums, does too.  And my favorite, due to working with him as much as I have, is Kent Rausch with the recently mentioned New Red Onion Jazz Babies.  A different style from Chris or Hal, but when the time is as solid as they all are, and the musicianship comes out so much, it's absolutely great.

What bugs me the most about "drummers" is the players who ARE "drummers", not "percussionists".  So often the guy in the kit is incredibly experienced and well-respected for big band, bop, rock, funk, fusion, whatever...but has NO CLUE about what to do when playing with a tuba, banjo, and 2 hand piano player.  The drum feel comes out like a cross between a drum corp drum line and Ed Shaughnessy...nothing against Ed, or drum corps, but the drums are, in OKOM, usually intended to reinforce the horns, not be the star.

And, I have nothing against drum solos, if that taste is used.  Even if the crowd goes wild, if it's out of character it ruins the karma.

I can't comment on Bill Sargent because I've not heard anything he/you've played!  Your website and other page links are appreciated!

steve 'man, am I REALLY that opinionated?' hoog