[Dixielandjazz] Audience Applause

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Thu Jan 10 15:11:00 PST 2008

I am not sure I agree on the poster who mentioned trying to loosen up
normally classical audiences when a jazz band is playing a classical
venue. Perhaps in hopes of soliciting applause for solos? I think the
applause, if any, then becomes even more phony as Bob Ringwald alluded to.

Perhaps someone mentioned it already, but at most jazz venues, soloists
get at least polite applause after their solos even if they don't
warrant it, but because it seems to be a cultural thing in a jazz venue.
On the other hand these same people can go to a classical event and seem
to feel no compulsion to applaud after every classical solo no matter
how good it is. It is not the "cultural" thing to do.

Are we applauding for the quality of the musicians playing or the
quality of the music or both at a jazz event, or just because it is the
thing to do?

Many years ago Ed Polcer, who may be reading this list, took a group of
jazz musicians doing his History of Jazz show to a number of community
concert venues. Especially at that time, most of the audiences, even if
performed in a high school cafeteria, were classical music fans. Many
had never heard or paid attention to jazz until then.

At an excellent venue in an old concert hall in Wittier, Ca. the group
was all dressed in Tux and Ed did his narration. It was very hard to
tell if the audience was enjoying it or not as there was almost no
applause for solos, no matter how good, and only polite applause after a
number. All very formal except for the few jazz fans like myself, and we
held back, out of "respect" for the rest of the audience.

Nether Ed nor the other musicians tried to solicit applause.

At the end of the first half, there was "thunderous applause" and his CD
sold like hot cakes in the lobby. The volunteer seller was literally
mobbed by people waving $20 bills. Few if any left early.

My opinion.  When in Rome etc.  Make THEM feel comfortable.

Mad Dog  The Verbose One