[Dixielandjazz] applause

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jan 10 01:43:39 PST 2008

Bob wrote:
I have mixed feelings about applause for Jazz solos.  It is great when it is
warranted.

JK:  as I mentioned before, too often a musically warranted solo will go
unnoticed, and the showy, maybe less musical solo will get the recognition
of the audience.  That is because most people see more than they actually
hear.  So, sorry, Bob, the trombonist will usually get more applause than
the pianist!   :>

Bob wrote:
Too many times people clap for a solo because they think they have to, or
because they have become so accustomed to doing it that they do it
mindlessly.

JK:  we have less of that as our audience is not normally a true blue jazz
crowd. It is nice to get a round of applause when you yourself know you have
done something a bit out of the ordinary.  Normally, you will have to do
with a nod from a fellow musician, which is also very nice!

Bob wrote:
Of course, most listeners hear music differently than a musician and
probably applaud for different reasons.

JK:  see above.  Also, an audience will applaud for the solo just before the
piano solo, as there is a sudden volume change, and their first reaction is
to do something.  Therefore, the beginning of the piano solo will be covered
up.  Nothing much to do about it....that's just the way it is, and I'm sure
you can vouch for that one, Bob!

Bob wrote:
As far as covering up the first few notes of the next solo, often the
musician who's solo it is will wait a few beats before starting to play.  I
have noticed this more often in modern Jazz live recordings.

JK:  I never particularly liked this approach as the fun is picking up the
end of the solo of the person before you....maybe reusing his ending riff to
start your solo.  It is the interreaction that we have in OKOM that is not
so much found in modern jazz where each soloist often takes on a whole new
mood or direction in a song.

Jim