[Dixielandjazz] Trying To Get Good - The Movie

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 10 18:03:14 PST 2008

on 1/10/08 4:53 PM, Robert Newman at bobngaye at surewest.net wrote:

> What a terrific website, Stevo -- Jack Sheldon is THE MOST.    Great
> numbers, I  just downloaded them all.   Sheldon and all the musicians with
> him in L. A. just knock us out.   Wonder if that's Wayne Bergeron on lead
> trumpet with the band.   Those L. A. cats are wonderful.   Is that Frishberg
> on piano?   Yes, come to think of it he's on Sheldon's DVD.
>
> Thanks for telling us about it --

You are welcome Bob. Jack's music knocks my socks off too. I'm trying to
find out where that documentary is going to play so I can see it. Or maybe
I'll buy the DVD if it doesn't show locally in Philly.

Got a kick out of seeing Frishberg again. I played with him in NYC a few
times in the 1950s/60s just before he left for the land of milk & honey. He
was a skinny kid with a full head of hair back then and a marvelous
Dixieland and Straight Ahead Jazz pianist. Looks like we both got old. I
think Jack Sheldon is the guy who talked him into singing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone