[Dixielandjazz] Shoot'em Aunt Tillie vs. Shout'em Aunt Tillie

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 29 01:26:40 PST 2008

David Richoux asks regarding "Shout 'em Aunt Tillie":
........what is the REAL name?  Is there a valid back-story to either
title?

Dear Dave,
The correct title of this Ellington-Mills tune is "Shout 'Em Aunt
Tillie".
(I've never come across your alternate "Shoot 'Em Aunt Tillie", which
would most certainly be a typo or a later corruption.)
Th story behind the title (according to Eric Townley in his book 'Tell
Your Story') is that an 'Aunt Tillie' refers to a typical elderly woman
who 'shouts' (sings fervently) at a religious revival meeting.
Eric also states that Freddy Jenkins wrote it, but I have yet to
establish this.
Kind regards,
Bill.