[Dixielandjazz] Shoot'em Aunt Tillie vs. Shout'em Aunt Tillie

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Feb 28 23:44:39 PST 2008

Hi all,

One of the bands I am in decided to try " Shout'em Aunt
Tillie" (after hearing the recent Fulton St. version) but we ran in
to one big (and one little) problem. For those of you that do play
it, is the structure AAB, AABA or something else? (that is the big
question.)

The little question is: what is the REAL name? I did a search and
found just about the same number of recordings of Shoot'ems as
Shout'ems.  What was first? Did Duke change the name or was it some
hyper-sensitive post-facto publisher? Is there a valid back-story to
either title?

It seems like I should know this - but I did not find any threads in
old DJML archives or much info with Google...

TIA,

Dave Richoux