[Dixielandjazz] could use some professional help

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Feb 28 12:58:11 PST 2008

Where does one begin?
Since you are playing trumpet, I'd ask who you are listening too.  I'd
recommend playing along with Bunk Johnson and other New Orleans players in
that vein.  You are expected to play the lead line so stay close to the
melody.
Ron L

Good advice, Ron, but I would add that our "learner" should honk along with
the bass line for awhile, also.  Doesn't matter if it's a trumpet, play dub,
dub, da duba duba duba duba with the bass, and eventually he will begin to
hear the chord changes, which are going to be important for improvisation.

Jim