[Dixielandjazz] could use some professional help

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Thu Feb 28 10:01:54 PST 2008

Where does one begin?

Since you are playing trumpet, I'd ask who you are listening too.  I'd
recommend playing along with Bunk Johnson and other New Orleans players in
that vein.  You are expected to play the lead line so stay close to the
melody.  Vary it a little.  You can vary the placement of the notes in time
and you can use mutes.   When you play, play the lead simply and leave lots
of holes, or room for the other players.  Imagine your improvising as
construction of another tune with the same chords as the tune the band is
playing.  It would be similar to playing "Over The Waves" while the band
plays "Bill Bailey" (try it if you've never done it).  Although it is not
creating a solo, it is improvising in a sense.

How's that for a start.

Ron L