[Dixielandjazz] could use some professional help

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Thu Feb 28 13:57:35 PST 2008

Dear Berl,

I had the same problems trying to improvise on the trombone. However I
switched to a treble recorder and soon became quite fluent at improvising.
The reason, I think, is because the recorder is much, much quieter than the
trombone, so that I could hear the tune to which I was trying to improvise,
and the chords.
I found that listening to the Bunk Johnson records was a great help at the
start, but soon it didn't matter who was playing, I could improvise fluently
providing the tune was in the key of D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, or Ab. The other
keys were no more difficult to think out the improvisation, but my skill on
the recorder wasn't adequate to play what I could hear in my head.
This has now given me a modest improvising capability on the trombone.

Regards

Bob Smith

--
Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
 Den har fjernet 2461 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.