[Dixielandjazz] Saving You tube and other videos

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Thu Feb 28 10:59:35 PST 2008

One of the listmates already gave the answer to the question about a
free or inexpensive program to save videos from You Tube and other
sources.  Real Player version 11.  That is the short answer along with
saying it has a pop up window that allows you to do that.

That answer is short and to the point for anyone totally familiar with
using computer programs, but unfortunately that is not always the case
even on the DJML. Thus my more verbose, of course, response.

REAL PLAYER version 11 (not WMP version 11) even in the FREE version to
download or upgrade to has an excellent video save option as noted in
the short response. (SOMEONE has to do it that way!)

The way to get the SMALL pop up window that allows you to do the
recording is not intuitive I think, even after reading the instructions
thoroughly and who does that anymore? No time. No Time!

First, you have to be using Internet Explorer preferably If the Mac has
a similar Real Player program I would like to know about it? I do not
have a MAC myself. It may or may not work with other browsers. It works
every time with IE.  It may work with Firefox.

To get the so called pop up window, after installing VERSION 11 ONLY,
you start the video you want to save playing. Then move our cursor to
the upper right corner of the smaller video screen (you might miss it in
full screen mode) on You Tube for example, and indeed the small pop up
attaches itself to that corner of the view area.

You can click Save at ANY time during the playback to save the entire
video. You do not have to start over. Not intuitive to newbies I think.
It saves the file to a folder on your computer which Real Player version
11 references and shows on their screen.  Imperfections in live playback
thus may be eliminated on playback from Real Player version 11. Earlier
version of RP will NOT record video.

It will NOT save the file if it is illegal. Some paid for programs may
make a screen save of some kind that will take anything. RP will not.

This is as cheap and easy as you can go. To those of you who already
know all this, why are you reading this far anyway? :-)  Just delete the
email as some other verbose mailers like to always say on the DJML.

Lowell aka Mad Dog