[Dixielandjazz] 'Plays Jelly Roll Morton'

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 26 13:12:43 PST 2008

Dear friends,
I hope shy and retiring listmate Butch Thompson doesn't mind the plug,
but for those who do not know, or do not have it, Worlds Records have
just announced the reissue of Butch's Biograph solo LP (later CD) from
11 June 1968 on a Collectables CD (6952) for $13.00.
The LP has been in my collection for years and os highly recommended.
Kind regards,
Bill.

BUTCH THOMPSON PLAYS JELLY ROLL MORTON
   For his recording debut, 24-year-old pianist Butch Thompson performs
a dozen selections associated with Jelly Roll Morton, including a
couple ("Tiger Rag" and Scott Joplin's "Original Rags") not actually
composed by Morton but performed during his Library of Congress
sessions. Thompson, who has long been considered one of the top
interpreters of Morton's music, already had his technique and sound
down at this early stage, and his solo recital (reissued on CD) is
excellent. Highlights include "King Porter Stomp," "Tiger Rag," "Pep"
and "The Crave."
Here is the full tune list:
     King Porter Stomp
     Fat Meat and Greens