[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics? More?

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 08:47:45 PST 2008

I am embarrassed to put this non-OKOM question to the list, but I can find NOTHING about the answer everywhere I have looked -- perhaps someone on the list can give me some help.

Long ago (but in my lifetime), comedian and actor Henry Morgan used to sing (on radio -- surely you've heard of that) an   amusing song entitled, as best I remember it, "Joe the Window-Washer".  I and two friends know the tune and the lyrics, but would like to learn more about it, to spread it around.

Any combination of words in the title, with or without Henry Morgan's name, brings up nuttin' in a google search.

Lyrics are more or less these:

                     Joe The Window Washer

For me, for you he does his work with class.
He shines like new the dirty window glass.
With sponge and rag, he works like no one can.
You ought to know that fellow Joe,
The window washer man.

Joe, how are you?
I guess I am O K.
Joe, what you do?
I rub rub rub all day
Why do you smile?
I’m happy all day long.
I’ve got my wife..
I’ve got my kids,
And so I sing a song.

When the days are bright and sunny,
Joe, he makes a lot of money.
Everything is milk and honey.
No one rubs no one scrubs like he can.
He’s a joy to every lady
He keeps an eye on every baby.
Life's a big fat bowl of gravy
For the window washer man!

As remembered by John Lang
Author unknown.

Anyone got any suggestions?

 Larry Swain
(Backup piano-player of last resort, Boston area)