[Dixielandjazz] Sing Song Diplomacy -- in Ragtime

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Mon Feb 25 07:48:07 PST 2008

Norm Vickers passed on the Washington Post article that described previous
State Dept-sponsored musical trips to foreign, especially hostile,
lands.  But those unaware louts missed the most important of all, which
came in 1978 when the State Department sent me and, in supporting roles,
Gunther Schuller and the New England Conservatory Ragtime Orchestra, on a
six-city tour of the Soviet Union.  We went to Donetsk (Garden Spot of the
Ukraine), Odessa, Tbilisi, Tashkent, Novosibirsk, and Moscow.  Alas, I
don't know of an on-line source to direct you to for details; I wrote it up
for Mississippi Rag, but it doesn't appear that they've digitized stuff
that old for their web site.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org