[Dixielandjazz] Jazz non reader/composers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 21 07:25:40 PST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 9:42 PM, Norman Vickers wrote:

> To:  DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list
> From:  Norman Vickers
>
> Subject:  non reading musician/ composers.
>
> We know that Bix Beiderbecke didn’t read well and that his –piano
> compositions were transcribed by arranger Bill Challis.
>
> Do we know who transcribed Erroll Garner’s compositions, including
> Misty?  Famous riposte when Garner was chided about inability to
> read. “  Damn, who can hear you read””
>
> Question came up in a jazz discussion group about Sidney Bechet.  I
> understood that he was a strictly “by ear” player.
> He has some great tunes – Petite Fleur, If you see my mother ( also
> has a French title) and others.  If he was not a reader, who
> transcribed his tunes for him?
>
> Other non-readers—Understand that Buddy Rich didn’t read.
>
> Please help with Bechet’s transcriptionist.  Any other famous
> “strictly by ear” players?
>
> Thanks.

Hello Norman:

Non reading jazz musicians included: Chet Baker,  Walter Bishop Jr who
finally did learn when he was over 40 and after he played with Sonny
Rollins, Bird, Blakey, Miles and others; But what about Shearing,
Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles? I think they used a braille system to
read music. Others have said that Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery and Django
Reinhardt could not read music. (I think Wes learned very late in life)

Perhaps it is too harsh to spilt musicians into readers and non
readers. As the late Jim Beebe said in a post a few years ago, it may
well be that virtually all musicians can read, if only a little. Maybe
the categories should be sight read, and not sight read. Plus taking
into account when particular musicians learned to sight read.  e.g. I
don't think Brubeck was a sight reader in College, but certainly
learned shortly afterwards.

Don't know who transcribed Bechet's compositions. Clarence Williams?
Do know Bechet was an "ear"player.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone