[Dixielandjazz] Jazz non reader/composers

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 18:42:49 PST 2008

To:  DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list

From:  Norman Vickers

Subject:  non reading musician/ composers.

We know that Bix Beiderbecke didn't read well and that his -piano
compositions were transcribed by arranger Bill Challis.

Do we know who transcribed Erroll Garner's compositions, including Misty?
Famous riposte when Garner was chided about inability to read. "  Damn, who
can hear you read""

Question came up in a jazz discussion group about Sidney Bechet.  I
understood that he was a strictly "by ear" player.

He has some great tunes - Petite Fleur, If you see my mother ( also has a
French title) and others.  If he was not a reader, who transcribed his tunes
for him?

Other non-readers-Understand that Buddy Rich didn't read.

Please help with Bechet's transcriptionist.  Any other famous "strictly by
ear" players?

Thanks.

F. Norman-I'd be lost without you-Vickers

Jazz Society of Penscola