[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 62, Issue 29

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 13:15:02 PST 2008

> "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:
>
>> What could be the downside in trying Chop Saver?
> Steve Barbone
>

> For a brass player, the one thing you don't want are soft, lovely
> chops.
> Tough & tight are better!  Besides, I already commented...the
> problems that
> are more likely to occur are on the insides of the lips, rather than
> the
> outside.  Any veteran will most likely have a decent calous
> protecting the
> outside.

Just got off the horn with Chris Dudley, principal trombone with the
Baltimore Symphony who swears by "Chop Saver". He stands by his
testimonial on the Chop Saver web site. He does a lot of concerts in
and outside the symphony and loves the product.

Am still waiting for Joe Alessi, principal trombone NY Philharmonic to
return my e-mail question about i

Both were students of Glenn Dodson, retired principal trombone of the
Philadelphia Orchestra and our trombonist for almost 8 years. I do not
know if Glenn used it or not, but I had often seen him using some sort
of lip balm.

Similar comments are at <http://www.chopsaver.com/chopsaver_user_comments.htm
 >  Seems to me that these are from some pretty good musicians. Since
they've used it with success (or are flat out lying) I will surely go
out and buy some to try, basically to get me through the dry chapped
lips that I sometimes have.

Downside? It costs $4.50 a tube. Other than that, based upon user
comments, I still don't see a downside.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone