[Dixielandjazz] Pianovisuals and side effects

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 6 14:05:20 PST 2008

Alfred Brendel has noted that the first time he saw film of himself playing he did something about movements of the sort referred to in the mailing.  He couldn't believe the sort of things he did.
There is also the account of Richard Tauber's arrival in England as a Jewish refugee from Nazism, he sang with a funny accent,  thing became theeng and so on.
Just as with the nateeve Engleesh tenors of the day, but with a good excuse and forgivable. As meself a trained classical singer I share the scorn of one of my teachers for all that nonsense. Sounding natural just involves more work. MOr care. Like playing another instrument with a beautiful sound.
There are lots of little things to which people used to this or that music easily accommodate, slightly annoying mannerisms, the contralto with a dumpling (Knoedl) in her mouth and so on. Sour saxophone sounds. Alto saxophonists who combine brutality and sentimentalism.
It's just lack of diligence.